Turasóireacht Acla CTR, or Achill Tourism GLC, is a limited company that was formally incorporated in 1998 to continue the work of preceding committees in promoting and developing Achill Island as a “Must See Now” visitor destination in Ireland.
Opening hours for our office and shop at Davitt Quarter, Achill Sound:
9am – 5.30pm Monday to Friday
9am – 5pm Saturday
Bus Tour Guide Service – We offer on-board tour guides and other services to bus and coach tour operators. Find out more.
Turasóireacht Acla is supported by the Community Services Programme (CSP) under the Department of Social Protection. It is affiliated to Ireland West Tourism and works closely with Fáilte Ireland West and Mayo Naturally. Membership of Achill Tourism is open to any business or enterprise that has an interest in the parish of Achill, which includes Achill Island and the Curraun Peninsula. Members who provide accommodation are encouraged to get Fáilte Ireland approval.
The services provided by Achill Tourism include:
- An information office at Achill Sound, which is open all year and provides fax, photocopying, laminating, printing, mail shot services and an events/activities ticket agency.
- A satellite office located within The Chalet restaurant building in Keel, open during summer months.
- Members can also display their literature in both tourist offices.
- A top-ranking website – www.achilltourism.com – which is being continually developed and optimised. This site had 163,000 visits and over 450,000 pageviews in 2017.
- A second website – www.visitachill.com – has been developed in four languages Irish, English, French and German.
- A facebook page – facebook.com/AmazingAchill with over 7,000 followers and updated daily.
- A twitter profile – twitter.com/amazingachill with over 4,000 followers and updated daily.
- Group membership of VHI, Liberty and Aviva Health, entitling members to a 10% discount.
- Marketing and promotion of Achill Island as a tourist destination at trade fairs, in local and national newspapers and radio, television, and on Discover Ireland and Tourism Ireland websites.
- A large Nomadic stand for use at promotions.
- A more robust version of the stand is available to members for their own promotions.
- Festival and Activity promotions e.g. Achill Marathon, Scoil Acla, New Year’s Swim, village festivals, Yawl Festival, Heinrich Boll Memorial Weekend, Battle for the Lake, Quest Achill, Achill Ultra, etc.
- Promoting a large range of outdoor activities provided by members.
- Producing and distributing printed material, e.g. laminated walks maps/guides, map of Achill Island, the Members’ Directory, events brochures, calendar of events.
- Production of a DVD to promote and market Achill Island as an activity destination.
- Assist Fáilte Ireland during tour operators’ and journalists’ familiarisation trips to the region.
- Lobbying Mayo County Council, and Government to provide the infrastructure necessary to support tourism.
Achill Tourism is pleased to work in partnership with a number of Community Members.