Turasóireacht Acla Teo, or Achill Tourism, is a limited company that was formally incorporated in 1998 to continue the work of preceding committees in promoting and developing Achill Island as a “Must See Now” visitor destination in Ireland.
Turasóireacht Acla is supported by the Community Services Programme (CSP) under the Department of Social Protection. It is affiliated to Ireland West Tourism and works closely with Fáilte Ireland West and Mayo Naturally. Membership of Achill Tourism is open to any business or enterprise that has an interest in the parish of Achill, which includes Achill Island and the Curraun Peninsula. Members who provide accommodation are encouraged to get Fáilte Ireland approval.
The services provided by Achill Tourism include:
- An information office at Achill Sound, which is open all year and provides fax, photocopying, laminating, printing, mail shot services and an events/activities ticket agency.
- A satellite office located close to the beach at Keel, open during summer months.
- Members can also display their literature in both tourist offices.
- A top-ranking website – www.achilltourism.com – which is being continually developed and optimised. This site had 131,530 visits and over 373,000 pageviews in 2016. Banner ads and web pages are available to members.
- A second website – www.visitachill.com – has been developed in four languages Irish, English, French and German.
- Group membership of VHI, Liberty and Aviva Health, entitling members to a 10% discount.
- Marketing and promotion of Achill Island as a tourist destination at trade fairs, in local and national newspapers and radio, television, and on Discover Ireland and Tourism Ireland websites.
- Promoting Achill Island in Cleveland, Ohio, USA, promoting Achill in a joint venture with the Achill-Cleveland Twinning Committee.
- A large Nomadic stand for use at promotions.
- A more robust version of the stand is available to members for their own promotions.
- Festival and Activity promotions e.g. Achill Marathon, Scoil Acla, New Year’s Swim, Walks Festival, Scoil Acla, Kite-surfing competitions, Achill Roar, 26 Extreme.
- Promoting a large range of outdoor activities provided by members.
- Producing and distributing printed material, e.g. laminated walks maps/guides, map of Achill Island, the Members’ Directory, events brochures, calendar of events.
- Production of a DVD to promote and market Achill Island as an activity destination.
- Assist Fáilte Ireland during tour operators’ and journalists’ familiarisation trips to the region.
- Lobbying Mayo County Council, and Government to provide the infrastructure necessary to support tourism.
Achill Tourism is pleased to work in partnership with a number of Community Members.