Published in aid of St. Colman’s Care Centre, Achill, this calendar features the winning images from the Achill 2016 Calendar Photography Competition. This is an open competition for amateur photographers. This full-colour, A4 calendar is a beautiful gift for anyone with Achill connections or memories.
About St. Colman’s
St. Colman’s Voluntary Committee was established in 1986, to develop and manage health care and personal social services for older and disabled people on Achill Island. The organisation has since remained responsible for the provision of a comprehensive network of care services and social programmes supporting the older population of the Achill parish.
St. Colman’s Care Centre is operated in co-operation with the Health Service Executive West and Community Employment Schemes, and is supported by the Achill community. Over the years, St. Colman’s has proved a vital resource to the social development of the island. A whole generation of older people have benefited from quality care and support within their own community.
The aims of the services are:
- To provide therapeutic and social facilities for older people, in order to improve their health and well-being.
- To provide care and support for people with chronic illness, so as to allow them to live independently within the community.
- To promote active and healthy ageing, by providing access to a range of opportunities, information and advocacy.
- To provide advice and support to families and carers.
A snap-shot of current services include:
- Day nursing and respite care for people with chronic illness and dementia
- Health promotion and screening
- Physiotherapy and occupational therapy
- Meals on wheels
- Active retirement and men’s groups with a focus on healthy ageing, leisure activities and creativity
- Supported living accommodation and community laundry
With only one-third of daily operational costs accrued from statutory sources, St. Colman’s relies heavily on donations and fundraising. The generosity of the Achill community and the ‘friends’ of St. Colman’s at home and abroad has ensured the project’s ongoing viability. The development of a new St. Colman’s Care Centre facility in Bunnacurry, Achill is part funded by the Achill community.