Achill Greenway parkrun
Every Saturday at 9.30am, a 5km run, jog or walk on a straight ‘out and back’ route (go 2.5km out, turn and come 2.5km back). Start at shoreline in Polranny, just down from Sweeney’s garage.
This community event is organised and hosted by volunteers. If you would like to volunteer please get in touch by email to email@example.com.
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Achill Greenway, Achill. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won’t hurt your time, it won’t stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Achill Greenway parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm’s reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent’s choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can – your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally – this event survives only because of your generosity – please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks – some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners’ Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Achill Greenway parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
Toilets will be available either at the Achill GAA or Ostan Oilean Acla Hotel.
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at the Ostan Oilean Acla – Achill Island Hotel – please come and join us!
- Events Calendar
- Achill Greenway parkrun
- Achill Half Marathon & 10K
- Achill International Harp Festival
- Achill Yawl Festival
- Battle for the Lake
- Féile Cill Damhnait / Kildavnet Festival
- Currane Challenge
- Achill Island Film Festival 2022
- Hearth & Community 2022
- Heinrich Böll Memorial Weekend
- Féile Inis Bigil
- New Year’s Eve
- Robert Henri Festival 2022
- Scoil Acla
- Achill Sheep Show
- St. Patrick’s Day
- Tour de Achill